Friday, September 09, 2005

Surrender

sur·ren·der v., -dered, -der·ing, -ders.

v.tr.
To relinquish possession or control of to another because of demand or compulsion.
To give up in favor of another.
To give up or give back (something that has been granted): surrender a contractual right.
To give up or abandon: surrender all hope.
To give over or resign (oneself) to something, as to an emotion: surrendered himself to grief.

Law.
To restore (an estate, for example), especially to give up (a lease) before expiration of the term.

v.intr.
To give oneself up, as to an enemy.

n.
The act or an instance of surrendering.

Law.
The delivery of a prisoner, fugitive from justice, or other principal in a suit into legal custody.
The act of surrendering or of being surrendered to bail.
Restoration of an estate.
[Middle English surrenderen, from Old French surrendre : sur-, sur- + rendre, to deliver; see render.]

SYNONYMS
surrender, submission, capitulation. These nouns denote the act of giving up one's person, one's possessions, or people under one's command to the authority, power, or control of another. Surrender is the most general: “No terms except unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted” (Ulysses S. Grant).

Submission stresses the subordination of the side that has yielded: “Our cruel and unrelenting enemy leaves us only the choice of brave resistance, or the most abject submission” (George Washington).

Capitulation implies surrender under specific prearranged conditions: Lack of food and ammunition forced the capitulation of the rebels.


Surrender
Written by Marc James

I'm giving you all my heart, and all that is within

I lay it all down for the sake of you my King

I'm giving you my dreams, I'm laying down my rights

I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life

(chorus)

And I surr-ender all to you, all to you

And I surr-ender all to you, all to you


I'm singing you this song, I'm singing at the cross

And all the world holds dear, I count it all as loss

For the sake of knowing you the glory of your name

To know the lasting joy even sharing in your pain

© 2000 Vineyard Songs (UK/Eire)

Album: Surrender/Vineyard

1 comment:

Trail Rider said...

good insight