Monday, November 14, 2005

What a weekend

What a weekend

Had an interesting weekend.

Friday was Remembrance Day.

I got to sleep in and took in the Act of Remembrance on TV.

I am always humbled by how costly my freedom was to redeem.

As I see the veterans walking by, and the tears as they remember fallen friends and allies, I am reminded how costly that freedom was.

Men and Women died so that we could be free.

Just let that sink in for a second.

Or as I did for a few minutes on Friday.

Call me a Patriot, but I am proud to be a Canadian and every chance I get, I thank our vets for what they did for me.

I saw an interesting bumper sticker one day...

If you can read this, thank a teacher, if it is in English, thank a Soldier.

We could of all been speaking German if our Vets did not go to war, German Subs were in the St. Lawrence seaway during the second world war. They were that close.

I am reminded of a poem that is displayed at the Canada Remembers Air Show every year:

It Is the Soldier
by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien United States Marine Corps


It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Mabey I do not fit into the typical pacifistic Mennonite Brethern conscientious objector mold here, but then again, my entire church does not quite fit the typical Mennonite Brethern mold.

I do believe that some things are worth fighting for. Freedom is one of them.

I always get choked up when I participate in an act of remembrance. I think of the men and women who died, the families left to mourn, friends left on the battlefield, and the price at which our freedom was bought.

I hope I never forget.

One of my Great Grandfathers (Filby) served in the first world war and was decorated by King George for an act of bravery in India, one of my Grandfathers served in the second world war in the Canadian Military (Shore) in England and married my grandmother who became a war bride, and my other Grandfather (Funkner) served in the German army and saw his best friend sawed in half by machine gun fire when fighting the Russians.

It is interesting that I have a British heritage and a German heritage. I grew up being babysat by my Grandmother, (my first word was G-air-age or Garage used to drive my mom nuts!) but later spent a lot of time with my Grandfather where I learned a little German.

So I grew up as a British German...

My grandmother used to tell me stories how when my great grandfather was fighting on Christmas day, how both armies laid down their weapons and came out of their trenches and exchanged cigarettes and alcohol and sang Christmas carols, the next day they were shooting one another again.

Under any other circumstances but war, they could of very well of been friends he said.

Amazing.

Friday afternoon I spent with a friend working on the Tangosierra.ca website...

Friday nite into Saturday morning :) I spent with my brother Chuck watching a movie and hanging out...and a longtime friend Amanda showed up in Toon Town. What a blessing it was to see her and Julienne.

Saturday I slept in again :)

Got a few things done, and Saturday night I went to House of Worship (their blog is houseofworship.blogspot.com) to soak in God's presence. What an amazing night.

God showed up and I just worshipped full tilt for a couple hours.

Man I needed that so much.

Thanks Jayson and Teegan and the band, God really moved through you guys. Great seeing you out Amanda and Julienne :) You guys followin' me around or something? LOL! You guys are such blessings!

Sunday it was off to church where I got to see some really cool people in my church get baptized, and I got to hang with my crew of Junior Youth and share about the Disciple Simon Peter, I am always blessed hanging out with our Youth in our church.

Oh yah...my buddy Dale turned 40! Man he don't look a day over 50 LOL! Actually ya wouldn't even know he was 40...he's got the heart and energy of a 20 year old. Dale is our youth pastor in our church, my immediate superior for youth, and an awesome friend of mine, with a passion and heart for youth that is incredible.

After church I went over to a Saskatchewan Roughriders party at Jonathan's place. My buddy Scott was there as were a lot of guys from my church. It was a blast. Unfortunately the Riders lost. That's it, that is all...they are outta the game for the rest of the season now...

Watched the Stampeders v.s. Eskimos game...that was an awesome game. Eskimos won. That was pretty cool.

All in all it was a pretty cool weekend, got rest, got relaxation, and had fun and fellowship.

Can't wait to see what is happening this week...

Bless Yas all! -Moose

Oh yah...found another friend who has started blogging now! Check her blog out and encourage her! She is an awesome writer and she has some very cool insights on her blog.

Here is her site: http://www.walking-again.blogspot.com/ I also added her to my Sisters in God menu on the right if you want to check her site out.

No comments: